Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Right or Wrong


Downloading movies, songs and television programs is it right or wrong. I guess I am a little old fashion but I still buy my CDs, DVDs and the released seasons of my favourite TV programs. I find it disturbing when a person tells me they have downloaded all six seasons of the Sopranos when I paid roughly a hundred dollars a season. I still go to the music store to purchase my CDs and I actually pay to watch movies, I rent them, buy them or watch them at the theatre.

My brother has recorded three CDs and is about to release a new CD, my husband’s band has recorded three CDs and my brother-in-law just finished releasing a solo CD. I know how much these recordings cost these local artists, roughly $20,000 to $30,000 to release one CD. Do the math. How many CDs do they have to sell to break-even? They go through a distribution company that pays them roughly $10 a CD…the answer is, they have to sell 2,000 to 3,000 CDs. Which locally can be a large accomplishment especially because everyone can just sit at their computer and get it free, why would they pay for it?

These artists are playing in bars trying to make a living and hoping that their CD sales will cover the cost of the recording. So every time temptation knocks at my door, I think of the artists who struggle day in and out at their jobs in the hopes of making a little bit of money. Would you go to work everyday without being paid?

No comments: